The European Patent Convention (EPC) provides an autonomous legal system for the granting of European patents via a single, harmonised procedure before the EPO.
To access the HTML version or download the PDF version, you can use links under “Additional information” below.
The 17th edition of the European Patent Convention is available. It contains:
- the text of the Convention on the Grant of European Patents (EPC) as in force since 13 December 2007
- the EPC Implementing Regulations as in force since 1 July 2020
- the Rules relating to Fees as in force since 1 July 2020
- the rules of procedure of the Boards of Appeal and the Enlarged Board of Appeal
- the protocols which are integral parts of the EPC (Protocol on the Interpretation of Article 69 EPC, Protocol on Centralisation, Protocol on Recognition, Protocol on Privileges and Immunities, Protocol on Staff Complement)
- an extract from the EPC Revision Act of 29 November 2000 and
- the Administrative Council's decision of 28 June 2001 on the transitional provisions under Article 7 of the Revision Act.
It also contains an index of decisions and opinions of the Enlarged Board of Appeal published in the EPO's Official Journal (Annex I) and an EPC 1973EPC 2000 crossreference index (Annex II).